Linux Outlaws 97 - Clickety-Clack
This week the Outlaws discuss the resurgence of the Mono wars, Libre.fm fussing over leaked albums, Squirrels on Leo Laporte’s face, USB 3.0 and multi-touch in Linux, the browserless edition of Win7 for Europe and there’s also some hockey talk and more.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have won the Stanley Cup!
- Thanks to Stephen Michael Kellat for playing our promo on his show, we played his LISNews Netcast Network promo at the start
- Stockholm court: Pirate Bay judge wasn’t biased — yeah, right!
- French HADOPI law fails once again
- Beers of the Week: Salzburger Stiegl Bier and Wieselburger Gold — donated by Bernd
0:11:46 | Releases & News
- Fedora 11 “Leonidas”
- Greenie Linux 5j
- FreeNAS 0.69.2
- TEENpup Linux 2009
- Linux-EduCD 1.0
- Wordpress 2.8<br/><br/>
- More than 100,000 websites wiped out after SQL attack, VM software maker chief hangs himself
- Last.fm founders call it quits
- Linux will be the first operating system with official USB 3.0 support
- Native multi-touch support on Linux
- Matthew Garrett on the Palm Pre
- Professor tries to deny student the right to open source his code, gets smacked down by uni
0:37:22 | Microwatch
0:48:50 | Discussion
We discuss the recent resurgence of anti-Mono sentiments in the community as well as the arguments around Last/Libre.fm and “leaked albums”.
1:03:02 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Henry Standing and John H.
- Forums: More lunacy, including squirrels taped to faces
- Andrew Nixon emailed us to point out StormOS which is a desktop version of Nexenta — it’s still in beta at the moment but quite an interesting prospect
- Gavin Steven is looking for arguments to convince people to use Linux and to counter pro-Windows points
- Dave aka. Sojyujai tells us about his experiences with eMusic and gives a warning about the service
- David Hunter wants some suggestions for a simple video editor on Linux
- Other emails this week from Mr. Smoketoomuch, Tony Atkinson, Simon Vass, Morten**, **Cult, Steven (who suggested the Category5 vidcast for new users), Pierre Laguide, Kris, Kevan Vautier, John Priest, Jacob Todd, Beeza, Chad (not Wollenberg), Tim in Kansas, Scott Cann, gavigai (says “bing” means disease in Chinese), kieran, tloo, Frank Bell, Darrin Ritter and DaveQB
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.