Linux Outlaws 95 - All Those Sheep Got PDAs
This week on Linux Outlaws: Google Wave, lots of Moblin news, Microsoft losing deals and sneakily installing Firefox plugins, Dan reviews Chakra and much more.
0:01:52 | Introduction
- Fab caused a massive server FAIL on Sunday and is very sorry for that!
- Check out Dan’s new music show Rathole Radio
- Someone added “Danish Weekend” to Urban Dictionary (see Episode 93)
- Beers of the Week: Fab is drinking Ottakringer Helles, send to him by Bernd from Vienna — Dan got Weetwood Eastgate Ale from the guys at Chester LUG
0:10:33 | Releases & News
- Nexenta Core Platform 2.0
- CentOS 5.3 “Live CD”
- Linux Mint 7 — G-L-O-R-I-A
- PC/OS 10 “Open64 Workstation”
- Calculate Linux 9.6
- Hacao Linux 4.21
- OpenSolaris 2009.06
- Blender 2.49
- Koffice 2.0.0
- gPodder 0.16.0
- Fedora is “pulling a Debian” — F11 release now June 9?
- Default media player discussion for Ubuntu Karmic — will Banshee replace Rhythmbox?
- Canonical is working on Moblin version of UNR
- Linpus set to debut first Moblin 2.0 distribution for end users
- Canonical developers aim to make Android apps run on Ubuntu
- Google Wave to become the new email? — shiny!
0:39:09 | Microwatch
- Microsoft loses lucrative kiwi deal
- Swiss M$ deal on hold pending complaints by open source companies
- Microsoft sneaks in Firefox extension via system update
- This Week in Freedom-Hating: iTunes support confirmed for Palm Pre
0:50:10 | Review
Dan previews the Chakra Project Alpha 2.
1:00:41 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks a lot to Joe from Chester LUG, Mark M. and Marvin C.
- Forums: The King of Fail is back in the house and apparently we weren’t the original Linux Outlaws
- Scruffy Mogwai goes head-to-head with Wikipedia on kernel version numbering
- gavagai sent us a video of the World Beard & Moustache Championships, apparently until recently Germany had always won, that’s now over
- Markus Huggler aka. magbeat sent us a lot of information about the open source situation in Switzerland and the contentious Microsoft contracts
- Michael aka. Blupr sent us a link to a cool image of Tux made out of source code
- Rich Brown sent us a link to itsbetterwithoutwindows.com, an answer to the Microsoft/Asus site
- Philip Durbin sent us an old, but very funny news story
- Kristian Naugle asked us what software we use on Linux to create our artwork and Fab answers — make sure to check out the screencasts by heathenx and Richard Querin
- Brett Murch asked us to mention an new distro he is involved with: Kongoni — they also have an IRC channel on Freenode at #kongoni
- Thanks to James Polera, Matt Harrison, Jonathan Simpson, Gerd Folberth, Luke Platypuss, St3v3 and Mike Fuerst for their emails telling us the site was down
- Also thanks to Jonathan Gates, Drew of Doom, Reine, Will Noakes, adrian15, Jonathan Groll, Matt Donnelly, Douglas Whitfield, Acidphlux and The Glza for their emails
- Dell Mini 9 to be end-of-lifed
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.