Linux Outlaws 94 - Beer on the Stream
In this week’s, massively oversized episode: We interview the Linux Foundation’s Community Manager Brian Proffitt and talk about the Cisco/FSF settlement, the RIAA dissing the FSF, Microsoft and the Linux Foundation actually agreeing on something and much more.
- Dan’s 29th birthday was on Monday
- Happy Towel Day
- Errata: Looks like Asus is still selling Eee PCs with Linux they are just not advertising it very well, Wolfram Alpha’s TOS require attribution
- Congrats to The Linux Link Tech Show to their 300th episode today!
- The Meet the GIMP vidcast has reviewed Fab’s Shiny Screenshots plugin and gave us a huge plug on their Episode 103 — thanks to Rolf Steinort!
- & Youth">DFEY have a logo design competition at the moment, it closes at midnight on May 31, cash prizes on offer!
- Beer of the Week: Erdinger Weißbier
0:11:48 F/OSS Releases
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8
- NetSecL 2.4
- ArtistX 0.7
- Puppy Linux 4.2.1
- Moblin 2.0 Beta
- Mozilla Jetpack
0:21:44 News Stories
- Slackware now has an official 64 bit version
- Dell is now selling the Studio XPS 13 with Jaunty
- Cisco and FSF settle GPL case
- More on the alleged Last.fm scandal — according to TorrentFreak, the data in question is useless anyway
- RIAA disses the FSF
- Wikipedia adopts CC-BY-SA as co-license with 75% in favour
- Palm Pre on June 6th for $200
- Microsoft and the Linux Foundation join forces against software licensing law
- Office 2007 SP2 actually reduces ODF interoperability
- Jury awards Canadian company i4i Ltd. $200 million in damages in patent suit against Microsoft
- Red Hat sues Switzerland over Microsoft contract
1:20:42 Software Tip
- Wakoopa for Linux, a social network that’s all about application usage
1:27:54 Listener Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Christopher H. and Kevan V.!
- Forums: We have over 1000 users now, it’s hard to install software on Linux, the Linksys WRT160NL open source router
- x1101 sent us a Lifehacker article on re-enabling CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE for the new Xorg
- Jake Tolbert wrote us on using parts of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on normal laptops
- Jason Greer found our New User Special very useful
- Matt Harrison sent us a PHP script he wrote to generate certificates for the “Original Outlaws” forum members
- GourdCaptain tells us Arch can be quite a lot faster than Ubuntu on older hardware
- Kevan V. says the search term “Duck Porn” is still very popular with people searching for this site
- Other email from: Benny, Kristian Naugle, Barry Postle, Joe Foy (told us about a Klingon Anti-virus), Germ aka. Jeremythegeek, Barry Williams, Russ, Ryan, lostnbronx, Dave Anderson, Drew DeKoning, Mike Hingley, Francesco Angelo Brisa, Jason, Rob van Son and Upchuck
- Go Pens!
- If you live in Europe, vote!
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.