Linux Outlaws 87 - Broadcasting Uranus
This week: Dan talks about Arch some more, Fab gives you tips on remastering Ubuntu and we also have your usual Linux news, Microsoft-bashing and dirty in-jokes.
- Fab explains why he said PHP was “the Microsoft of web languages”
- Defeat for French “three strikes” law
- Phone carriers could be forced by EU to support VoIP services
- Skype’s founders looking to buy the service back?
- We play a promo for SouthEast LinuxFest
- Beer of the Week: Diebels Alt
0:14:13 Open Source Releases
- Clonezilla Live 1.2.1-53
- PC-BSD 7.1
- Sabayon Linux 4.1 “GNOME”
- Epidemic GNU/Linux 3.0
- Tiny Core Linux 1.3
- Untangle Gateway 6.1.0
- Linux Mint 6 “KDE” & “Fluxbox”
- Slax 6.1.0
- Kwort Linux 2.4.1<br/><br/>
- gPodder 0.15.2
0:22:40 News Stories
- Kerberos vulnerabilities — update your system!
- Steve McIntyre re-elected as Debian project leader
- Debian gets support for FreeBSD kernels
- Intel looks to ramp up contribution to GCC
- BBC releases show under Creative Commons license
- Intel aims for 2-second boot time with Moblin
- Tomboy to be ported to C++
Check out the Linux Planet blog and podcast aggregator for lots of interesting Linux content!
- More M$ FUD: Windows Owns 96% Of Netbooks — Canonical refutes
- Bundeskartellamt fines Microsoft Germany
- Microsoft’s anti-piracy technology is itself pirated
0:51:04 In-Depth Discussions
- Dan talks about Arch some more, also check out his detailed review
- Firefly Linux
- Fab talks about remastering Ubuntu, he’s been working on that lately — if you want to use Fedora, it’s even easier
Tip of the Week: Guake, a Quake-like drop-down terminal for Gnome
1:11:22 Listener Feedback
- Donations: thanks to Ger Appeldorn, Aaron C. and Christopher P.
- Forums: Thread on users remembering the first time they used Linux<br/><br/>
- Morten J. J. Z. F. wrote to us about the Open Clip Art project and also says he was recently referred to as “FuckingLongName” on a mailing list.
- Bob Konior tells us his opinion on the Microsoft/TomTom settlement
- Nick Nobody says he had a similar problem to Fab with graphics cards but his was an Nvidia, replacing the capacitors around the GPU fixed it for him.
- Michael wrote to us about a Creative Commons radio station he’s trying to start and tells us they’re always looking for content. If you got music, radio plays or anything else under a CC license, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be involved.
- Richard Querin sent us this amazing video of him listening to Linux Outlaws out loud in his car while driving past the local Microsoft HQ, he also says we ought to interview “Big” Dave Yates
- Other emails this week from Michel Van Der List, Alex Harrington, Kevan Vautier, Buzzy, Darrell Whitehead from the Wirral, Mark Hyde, Sergei Van Hardveld, Olle Jonsson, Boryslav Larin and Chris Fikes
Also, CafeNinja wrote a really nice review of our podcast.
Song: Broken Stereo by Sean Fournier from his album Oh My
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.