Linux Outlaws 86 - Pointless Use of Noughts
On this show: OpenMoko going down, IBM/Sun deal bust, Wikia Search dead, Novell has no humour and the scoop on Libre.fm.
- Aaron Bockover has packaged the Droid fonts for openSUSE
- PC World says Linux needs critics — don’t they listen to our podcast?
- Apparently we’re not notable enough for Wikipedia
- Geeknic Philidelphia April 19th — basically it’s geeks having a picnic
0:08:15 Open Source Releases
- CentOS 5.3
- AsteriskNOW 1.5.0
- VectorLinux 6.0 “Light”
- Parted Magic 4.0
- xPUD 0.8.9
- SystemRescueCd 1.1.7
- Development Release: Fedora 11 Beta<br/><br/>
- Ardour 2.8
- KDE 4.2.2
- IBM/Sun buyout talks collapse
- OpenMoko project put on ice, people layed off
- Plans for Gnome 3.0 (German) — English link
- Intel’s Moblin turned over to Linux Foundation
- Wikia Search is dead
- Firefox 3 market share overtakes IE 7 in Europe
- HP considers dropping Windows for Android in netbooks
- Novell has no sense of humour when it comes to Microsoft
- Microsoft releases ASP.NET MVC under the open source MS-PL license!?
0:55:48 Listener Feedback
- Forums: Show licensing discussion
- Audio Feedback: JonathanD & Joshua send us some truly amazing audio feedback — “a podcast is a broadcast in a pod that you broadcast”
- Brent Emery Pieczynski, the dictator, thinks our RSS link is too inconspicuous
- Jared Stofflett Informs us that Bloomberg run a regular CEO Spotlight segment, sponsored by Microsoft, and they recently had the Red Hat CEO on proudly telling everyone how open source reduces costs and helps companies in an econmic downturn — surprisingly, there never was a rerun
- Rafael “The Hitman” Hart says it takes 3 hours to compile Xorg, 12 hours to compile Gnome and 8 hours to compile Open Office on his Lenovo S10 with Gentoo
- Simon aka. Mungewell tells Fab about using the FUSE libraries and the CurlFtpFS filesystem to mount network shares in Xfce
- Ehud Kaldor sent us this funny article about the success of programming languages in relation to their creators beardyness
- Genghis Prawn sent us some “hatemail” he received from “Mr. Jobs Ballmer”
- YaManicKill says Scientific Linux is from CERN, we never knew that
- Other emails from Mike aka. Bluplr, Rod “Ramrod” Johnson, The Todd, Sergei Van Hardeveld, Justin Rassier, Chris aka. kettiekop, Kristian Naugle, Mark Faulkner, Ken, Matt Pawelski, Kirill, David Hunter, Partick Dailey, Hously6, Reine, Sam Bull, Benny, Johnny, rootoutcast and Andy Cowl
- Donations: Thanks to Ryan yet again!
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.