Linux Outlaws 83 - Beard Fetish
This week: Xfce 4.6 review, Blue Sun, Skolelinux in German schools, Playboy archives on Linux, Linux Outlaws for non-geeks, beard talk and much more.
- Freenode now has a podcast called Free As In Node
- Beer Of The Week: Matteo Mario Doni send Dan some Innis & Gunn Blonde, Fab is drinking Flensburger Dunkel
0:07:20 Open Source Releases
- K-DEMar 4.8
- OpenGEU 8.10
- Igelle PC/Desktop 0.6.0
- Absolute Linux 12.2.2
- Scientific Linux 5.3
- UTUTO 2009
- Parsix GNU/Linux 2.0
- Zenwalk Linux 6.0 “GNOME”
- Frugalware Linux 1.0
- Songbird 1.1 — Thanks to YaManicKill for the tip
- Battle For Wesnoth 1.6
- GNOME 2.26
- Digikam 0.10.0 — now Qt 4 based
0:24:20 News Stories
- Tuz image now in newest kernel
- Blue Sun: IBM wants to buy Sun?
- TomTom countersues M$ and joins Open Invention Network
- Stallman warns about Java Script
- Skolelinux to be OS for Schools in Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany — Fab also wrote a detailed blog post about this
- Red Hat criticized for staking out patent claim on open standard — also see Red Hat’s official statement on this
- Miguel brings Playboy archives to Linux
Fab reviews Xfce 4.6.
Also check out the cool new Gnome-Colors icon set.
1:00:15 Listener Feedback
- Stefano Palazzo sent us some amazingly funny audio feedback: “Linux Outlaws for Non-Geeks”
- David Moore resent his audio feedback from last week
- Forums: where threads get derailed to epic proportions!
- Anders Troback tells us about Gnugle, DragonFly BSD and virtualbsd.info
- Kevan Vautier searches for his Windows bottlenecks with Splunk
- Dan Dart comments on AGPL web services and gives out his email address because he is a Cloud man
- Ken Fallon writes us about his experiences with podcast licenses and a program called “sox” wich he did an Hacker Public Radio episode on that can speed up audio files without changing pitch
- Jason Bowles (aka. Malkor The Techie) has some questions about photography — Fab used to listen to TWiP and also thinks Tips From The Top Floor is a pretty good photography podcast
- Csaba Hoch likes the show a lot
- More emails from The Glza, The Todd, Sergei Van Hardeveld, Craig Engbrecht, Dekar, Reine, Morten Fucking-Long-Name, Sim and Frank Bell
- We also got a donation from Michael (aka. Noodles) — thanks a lot for that!
If you want to help us spread the word about the show, download our new “Wanted” poster and stick it up somewhere in your area!
Also: All our shows from this one onwards will be licensed CC BY-SA 3.0 and we are in the process of relicensing the old shows as well.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license.