Linux Outlaws 79 - A Community Gone Wild
In this episode, we talk about Koalas, training robots, a bunch o’Irish bastards, as well as some open source and Linux topics as well. Fab also reviews World of Goo for Linux.
- We explain our plans for the new release schedule
- Fab’s part-time job is training robots to play rock-paper-scissors, apparently
- An interesting follow-up to our Miguel interview: Microsoft and Mono
- Beer of the Week: German cheapo beer 5,0 Original
- U2’s label screws up and accidentally posts upcoming album DRM-free on the web — apparently Last.fm did not share who scrobbled plays from the record
0:08:41 Open Source Releases
- ALT Linux 4.1.0 “School Server”
- Kubuntu 8.04.2
- VectorLinux 6.0
- Foresight Linux 2.1.0
- SimplyMEPIS 8.0
0:17:51 News Stories
- Upcoming Ubuntu (9.10) named “Karmic Koala”
- ACCESS Linux Platform 3.0 unveiled
- Bespin, a browser-based code editor from Mozilla
- All you ever wanted to know about ext4
- ASUS has been reported to be considering Android-based Eee PCs
0:36:43 Gaming Review
Fab reviews World of Goo for Linux. It’s an awesome game that runs and installs very well in Linux, including on the Eee PC. If you have $20 to spare, get it now — completely DRM-free. These guys really get it!
Bonus: Download the soundtrack for free here.
0:46:34 Listener Feedback
Forum thread: Can we organise a meetup at LugRadio Live 2009?
- Boryslav Larin writes to tell us that he has become addicted to the show without understanding most of it — very awesome!
- We had two very generous donations (which are always appreciated) from Ryan & David
- imag1narynumber sends us an email about monopolies in the US, stuff like the Ma Bell story
- Mark from the UK found the “real” GNUgle
- David Brunner wrote to tell us he uses BashPodder and hasn’t had any problems with the feeds changing, which is good to know
Please vote for NASA naming an ISS node “Serenity”!
Song: Lemmings in Love from the album 8-bit lagerfeuer by Pornophonique
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.