Linux Outlaws 76 - Easily Operated with One Hand
This week: Dan is irrate with Dell but not as much as Putin with Michael Dell himself, Mozilla news, Google FAIL, the usual open source news and much more.
[0 hrs 1 mins 1 secs]
- Dell really cuts down on their Linux offerings in the UK — Dan calls a major CRAP ALERT!
- Michael Dell vs. Vladimir Putin
- HP also ditches Linux from their netbooks in the UK
[0 hrs 7 mins 10 secs]
Open Source Releases
- Gentoox 7.0 “Home”, 5.0 “Pro”
- Parted Magic 3.5
- PapugLinux 09.1
- StartCom Enterprise Linux 5.0.3
- Slamd64 Linux 12.2
- GeeXboX 1.2
- MOPSLinux 6.2
- Pardus Linux 2008.2
- KNOPPIX 6.0
- Clonezilla Live 1.2.1-37
- PelicanHPC 1.8
- K12Linux F10 “Live Server”
- KDE 4.2
- Zope 3.4.0
[0 hrs 23 mins 51 secs]
- Debian Lenny release planned for February 14 — a Valentine’s gift from Debian?
- Mozilla’s Test Pilot — good idea or not?
- Mozilla contributes $100,000 to Ogg development — good idea!
- Canonical close to $30 million annual revenue target
- Business Objects founder looking to open source — now featuring all-new DataBastard
- Compiz creates “Compiz Council” to deal with problems
- MySQL founder leaves Sun — Monty finally left…
- Department of Defense launches open source site Forge.mil
- Red Hat takes on Windows in “the cloud”
[0 hrs 43 mins 18 secs]
- EU could force Microsoft to bundle Firefox with Windows — how hilarious would that be!?
- Windows 7 will come in six (!) versions — bloody hell, not again…
- Steve Ballmer basically says M$ is afraid of Linux — doesn’t the guy look like a loon in every picture we see of him?
- Google FAIL — be careful with your slashes!
[0 hrs 51 mins 40 secs]
- Over 500 members now!
- We had some discussion about our new promo
- Very interesting thread on how to get a Windows refund
- Kristian Naugle wrote to ask if we’d ever tried OpenGEU, he’s a big fan
- Daniel Devine sent us some information about the recent linux.conf.au, including Tuz, their mascot
- Andy Hunter wrote to tell us about the return of Red Dwarf
- Noah Meyerhans responds to the Mythbuntu special and suggests giving your mythbox a public IPv6 address
- David from California wrote to ask us what we think about OpenSolaris and also what exactly makes a distribution
- Jeff tells us about his new podcast Free Linux Help Line — help out if you can or call in if you have questions about Linux!
- Robert Freeman-Day gives us feedback on Mac OS X packaging
- Christian Farrow wrote an email asking if we have any secret tips to keeping all your personal data while distro hopping
- Ali Ross tells us about his site linuxnewbieguide.org
Henry Standing doesn’t think we should be encouraging people outside the UK to download content from iPlayer because it is paid for by British license payers — Fab disagrees
Thanks also go to Ben Stokes, Reine, Oliver Theill, Lonny aka. atilla, Michael Howell, Emma Anne Smith, Dan Dart, Ant Bryan and JonTheNiceGuy
Tip at the end: Download the Ubuntu Pocket Guide for free
Song: Microsoft Songshite performing Roxanne by The Police
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.