Linux Outlaws 73 - If It Works, Don't Touch It! (Mythbuntu Review)
In this special, one-off episode, Fab tells you about his experiences of reinstalling his mythbox with the latest release of Mythbuntu (8.10, Intrepid Ibex), Dan & Fab also discuss german soft porn channels.
- Installer is really easy and straightforward
- The included Xfce4 theme is very nice
- Wide variety of MythTV themes included
- Auto channel icon downloader is awesome
- Live TV looks much better on Fab’s box (possibly driver improvements)
- Apache is apparently broken (MythWeb & phpMyAdmin do not work out of the box)
- The ATI drivers do not work out of the box with the MythTV GUI due to the omission of a config option in the MythTV config
Here’s what Fab added to /etc/mythtv/session-settings to fix that problem for him:
# Hack to get fglrx to behave properly
- Fab is using a Pinnacle PCTV 450e DVB-S capture card now
- Fab also replies to an email about Mythbuntu from DaddyG
- Tip Number One: If you thinking about rolling your own mythbox, research your hardware BEFORE you do it.
- EfficientPC sells ready-to-go mythboxes
Song: Turn it off and turn it on again by Ben Walker
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.