Linux Outlaws 54 - Compiling in Coffee Shops
80:26 minutes, 36.9 MB — Download or play
In this first show of the second year of Linux Outlaws, Dan and Fab talk about the Elonex Webbook, Spore running in Wine, Microsoft using Apache for the Mojave Experience site, the code name for Ubuntu 9.04 and much more.
Introduction & Errata (01:04)
- Fab is still without Internet
- Next episode will be a listener feedback special
- Last week’s email about Distrowatch not listing Ubuntu Satanic Edition was from Brooklyn
- Matt Hampton appologised for calling Dan old — aren’t we all old to some degree?
This is the first show of the second year of Linux Outlaws! Some stats from the first year:
- Over 130,000 downloads
- Over 3.5 Terabytes of data delivered
- 13,415 forum posts
- Over 65 hours of audio
Infinite uses of the words “Crap” and “Definitely”
Beer of the Week: Diebels Alt
Releases & News (08:35)
- Django 1.0
- SystemRescueCd 1.1.0
- Linux Mint 5 “Xfce”
- Frugalware Linux 0.9
- STUX GNU/Linux 2.0
- MilaX 0.3.2
- OpenGEU 8.04.1
- CentOS 4.7
- Some packages in Debian apparently breach the GPL2
- Ubuntu 9.04 to be named “Jaunty Jackalope” — what the fuck!?
- Next Debian after Lenny to be called Squeeze
- Root kit for Linux released as open source
- Lenovo dumps consumer Linux offerings
- The US Department of Defense now recommends open source
- Microwatch: Novell developed a VM technology with Microsoft
- Microwatch: Microsoft uses a LAMP server for the Mojave Experiment site and failed miserably at hiding it after the fact — thanks to Matt Harrison (lummie) for the tip
- Microwatch: HP rumoured to be working on their own Linux-based OS because Vista sucks so bad
Reviews, Gaming Corner & Tip of the Week (43:22)
- Check out the Laconica instance Fab set up for our community at linuxoutlaws.net
- Dan reviews the Elonex Webbook (read the full review on his blog, also check out the Webbook Blog)
- Fab reviews Spore and tells the story how he got it to work in Wine (if you want to do this yourself, you might be interested in his howto on the topic)
- If you’re running your own server, Dan recommends Webmin, which has recently undergone a complete visual makeover
- We give a shoutout to all our listeners in the American hurricane zones — stay safe everyone!
Song: Smokey by Noel Watson
Please leave any comments on this episode in the forums.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.