Linux Outlaws 51 - Too Young for Jail
81:04 minutes, 37.1 MB — Download or play
Dan Lynch and Fabian Scherschel talk about Storms in the Cloud, Trouble with OpenGL 3.0, Microsoft’s Olympic FAIL and DokuWiki.
Introduction and Housekeeping (00:58)
- Fab forgot to tell everybody about Ubuntu’s Global Bug Jam as he promised and now it’s too late — shame on him for that!
- Beer of the Week: Coffee (from Tchibo)
Releases and News Stories (05:15)
- m0n0wall 1.234
- ClarkConnect 4.3
- Fedora 10 Alpha
- Django 1.0 alpha 2<br/><br/>
- Ars(e) Technica: Storms in the cloud leave users up creek without a paddle
- War in Georgia may involve cyber warfare as well
- Dell is shipping new Hardy systems
- Linspire is going away
- OpenGL 3.0 Released — Developers Furious?
- Open Source food!?
- .org Village at the UK Linux Expo<br/>
- Microsoft’s giant Olympic FAIL
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback (42:22)
Review: DokuWiki, amazingly easy to use and lightweight database-less wiki software
Fab’s Freedom Hating iPhone Tip of the Week™: pTerm
- Kevin prompts us on our Jaiku use
- Martin Reindl, who is an avid listener, sends us pictures from some awesome promotion he arranged for us in Paderborn — thanks a lot, dude!
- threethirty from theLinux Cranks gives Fab the boot about IceWeasel
- Eddie tells us about variable bitrate problems with some audio players
- Peter Cannon answers Dan on the “Free Music Challenge”
- Gregor Bočič aka. dpkgregor sends a message from Starfleet, or rather the Linux Void team, about their show
- Nick sends us a handy tip about gPodder
- Paul Northrup tells us about the band Thermal And A Quarter which he says has some Creative Commons music which we sadly couldn’t find — cool band nonetheless
- Tim send us a link to this great Calvin and Hobbes comic about flamethrowers
- Aaron B. has a theory that all the layed-off coders from Microsoft are doing viruses now
- Steve Riddit sends us a message about Photoshop and the GIMP in two (!) accents, he also has the idea that people could write in and tell us about how they are seeing Linux and Free Software appearing around them which is a great idea
Wrapping it up, we thank everybody who donated to the show to help us cover some of the cost — thank you! We also mention the fact that Software Freedom Day is getting closer. Last but not least, check out our torrents of the LO Extra pack.
Closing Song: Little Mess by BeatSix
Please leave comments on this episode in the forums.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.