Linux Outlaws 47 - Hip with Da Yoof
79:31 minutes, 36.5 MB — Download or play
Fabian Scherschel and Dan Lynch talk about Gentoo, complete nutters in the open source world, another silly initiative out of Redmond and much more.
Introduction and Housekeeping (01:08)
- Fab’s been to a Neil Young concert in Oberhausen
- Dan saw the Counting Crows in Liverpool
- Beer of the Week: Heineken
- The show had 5,197 downloads last week, many of them were probably “chinny” — w00t!?
Releases and News Stories (07:15)
- Ubuntu 8.04.1
- Gentoo Linux 2008.0
- Absolute Linux 12.1.02
- GoblinX 2.7 & GoblinX 2.7 “Micro”<br/><br/>
- Mozilla gets their download World Record
- Netgear launches an open source router — Fab thinks it’s Crapgear
- Idiot launches threats against Debian women — just hope we never meet in a dark alley, buddy…
- Hans Reiser leads cops to the corpse of his wife
- Cross-platform DNS vulnerability discovered
- PDF to become ISO standard
- Stormy Peters becomes Gnome Executive Director — we had some problems with the name
- Micro-Watch: Microsoft gets hip with da yoof — Losers!
- Micro-Watch: What the Gates Foundation really does — thanks to JonTheNiceGuy for the story
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback (38:04)
- Fab relays his experience with Gentoo 2008.0
- Tip of the Week: Mount ISOs via a GUI with gmountiso (thanks to Jackie for the tip)<br/><br/>
- Alfred Nutile is sad about the end of LugRadio and wants to help out with our show, which is awesome; he also recommends the Car Talk podcast
- Chris Hembrow sticks the boot in about Symbian
- Bushy Tony Elmer’s giggling about our show keeps his wife awake at night; he also thinks we could do without coarse language
- Chad Davis sends us a cool clip of the Def Leppard guys doing funny accents
- Matt Hampton says we aren’t allowed to quit the show like LugRadio did
- David Sterry finally reveals his top secret project: trygnulinux.com
- d-r from Vermont disagrees with Tony and wants us to swear more
- Richard Querin from screencasters.heathenx.org chimes in about dark themes, Canada’s TLD and sends us an amazing comparison of Jono Bacon and an Ibex; Heathenx also sends his love (luckily not his man-love, just his love)
- We are still loving identi.ca!
Song: When The Chemicals Ignite (With Fuel) by Beatsix
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.