Linux Outlaws 46 - Failover to Fab
91:12 minutes, 41.9 MB — Download or play
This week on the show, Dirk Shnerkelburger and Mr. Hubcaps.co.uk talk about the end of LugRadio, the first Intrepid alpha, identi.ca and the Diablo games.
Introduction and Housekeeping (02:32)
- We are sad about the end of LugRadio — thanks for all the plugs, guys!
- We explain what we plan to do at LugRadio Live
- LinuX-Gamers Live article
- Beer of the Week: Früh Kölsch
Releases and News Stories (12:18)
- Scientific Linux 5.2
- Parsix GNU/Linux 1.5r0
- Network Security Toolkit 1.8.0
- Finnix 92.0
- SystemRescueCd 1.0.4
- Sabayon Linux 3.5
- Slamd64 Linux 12.1
- Foresight Linux 2.0.3
- Poseidon Linux 3.0
- Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 1<br/><br/>
- We take a first look at Intrepid Ibex — they’ve got some boot improvements and a new theme going
- Fab mentions the Murrina Relax GTK theme
- We check out the completely Free Software, open source and Creative Commons enabled new “microblogging” service identi.ca — follow updates on the show at identi.ca/linuxoutlaws
- Surprise Desktop Linux Move of the Week: Xandros buys Linspire, we talk about it
- Barracuda fights back at Trend Micro to protect ClamAV and the State of Vermont
- We talk about Nokia’s view of Software Freedom
- Micro-Watch: Fiji Government to Microsoft: don’t you dare use our name for your crappy products!
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback (51:33)
- Blizzard unveils Diablo III
- Passcode token for World of Warcraft accounts
- Fab talks about how to play the original Diablo with Wine, according to Wine bug #2082 you need a patched DLL for this
Tip of the Week: checkinstall, installs packages you compiled yourself into your package manager
- Steve sends us an awesome video — “What’s the German for blowjob?”
- Pedro from Spain taunts Fab about football and recommends he should nuke his profile to get rid of his Firefox 3 problems
- Darrin recommends the show should have some general disclaimers à la Futurama; he also sends us a link to a pretty cool Novell video
- IcarianOne from Silicon Valley asks us if we have the same feeling about Linux adoption over here as he has
- Kevin the Inventor gives us some nice ideas about what to do at LugRadio Live
- Nate prompts us about Mugshot
- Ben Webb also tells us about an open social network, NoseRub — if you want to try it, sign up to identoo
Please leave comments on this episode in the forums.
Rest in peace, Don S. Davis
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.