Linux Outlaws 39 - Come Back When You Can Grow a Beard
71:49 minutes, 33.0 MB — Download or play
In this slightly belated episode (Fab had kernel troubles): Ballmer gets egged, the OLPC gets windozed, OpenMoko tries to be Qt, Microsoft loses another patent case and possibly their mind and Fab is in hangover-mode.
Introduction and Housekeeping (01:31)
- Shoutout to LugRadio — yes, we will be hanging out at LugRadio Live 2008
- Thanks to Rob Parker we now have a Wikipedia article — how cool is that!?
- No Beer of the Week, Fab has the Hangover of the Week
Releases and News Stories (05:43)
- MEPIS antiX 7.2
- rPath Linux 2.0
- Ubuntu Muslim Edition 8.04
- eAR OS 1.08
- PelicanHPC 1.5.1
- Absolute Linux 12.1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2
- Ultimate Edition 1.8<br/><br/>
- The OLPC gets windozed
- OpenMoko ditches GTK+ for Qt & E17
- Ubuntu Live 2008 cancelled
- Fab joined 5-A-Day
- Asus to embed Linux natively into all their motherboards in the future
- M$ Office to gain ODF support in 2009 — WTF!?
- M$ loses patent case against Alcatel-Lucent
- Funny story of the week: Ballmer gets egged!
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback (35:37)
- Dan reviews Fedora 9
- Fab tells a story about a teacher he recently met who plans to buy a class room set of EeePCs for his school
- Tip of the Week: Linux Basement podcast
DISPLAY=:0.1 compiz --only-current-screen &
DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --only-current-screen &
- Victor writes to us with a SpinRite story — uggh!
- Chad Wollenberg from Linux Basement tells about the song feed of his podcast
- Alex Harrington writes us a “fucking massive email” about Fab’s RAID rant
- DiggsIt is no Pens fan — we also talk about the size of “The Cup”:
- Chris from Raleigh is a Pens fan (despite living in the home city of the Hurricanes) and he has a playoff beard which is way cool:
If you have any comments on this episode, please tell us in the forums.
Song: This week we have a song from Chad Wollenberg from Episode 20 of his podcast.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.