Linux Outlaws 38 - What Are They Smoking Up In Redmond?
86:23 minutes, 39.7 MB — Download or play
On the show this time: F9 is released, Debian has a hole, Microsoft smokes crazy shit, we discover thermo-nuclear hamsters and Fab is cranky during the whole episode.
Introduction and Housekeeping (02:22)
- Dan and Fab will be at LugRadio Live UK 2008
- Shoutout to Dave Yates , who Fab called “redneck” recently
- Fab says: “Go Pens, go!!! Go Pens, go!!!”
- Beer of the Week: Pilsner Urquell
Releases and News Stories (10:08)
- Parted Magic 2.2
- paldo GNU/Linux 1.14
- Fedora 9
- Ark Linux 2008.1
- First Moonlight Release<br/><br/>
- Huge security vulnerability in Debian uncovered, Ubuntu and other derivatives affected — check your SSL/SSH keys!
- Skype finally agrees to obey GPL after a German court buries their appeal
- Shuttleworth plots Ubuntu’s future course
- Microsoft changes its mind and will apparently keep fighting the EU
- Microsoft emails Blender and asks for help — WTF!?
- Redmond also tries to push their junk onto “ultra low cost PCs”
In-Depth Topics and Listener Feedback (45:15)
- Fab reviews SymphonyOne
- Tip of the Week: He also recommends not to use RAID<br/><br/>
- Chris Fikes tells us about ThermoNuclearHamster.org — check it out and help him along, if you can!
- Dangerseeker gives us a thermo-nuclear shoeing about COFEE (his links: 1, 2)
- Tom McCafferty and Dave Roberts of Vyatta say they are used to be compared to Viagra and send us this great picture
- Drew of Doom comments on several things, including Firefox 3 and Arch and recommends Preacher fans should check out Garth Ennis’ The Boys
- TaCo says he now uses Audible and we feel bad about it
- Sambu from Finland sends us a handy link for hard drive cloning using dd and netcat
- Ben Hellyer (best name ever!) asks about Fab’s iPhone and tells Dan how to trick his bank’s online banking system; he also tells us we’ve been plugged on the Elisa forums
Wrapping it up, Fab recommends John C. Dvorak’s Tech5 podcast which he enjoys every weekday.
Song: Code Monkey by Jonathan Coulton
P.S.: Pittsburgh made it to the Stanley Cup final!
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.