Linux Outlaws 35 - The Hardy Special
56:20 minutes, 25.9 MB — Download or play
In this episode, we talk about the new Ubuntu version, 8.04 Hardy Heron, which will be released today.
We discuss some of the new features in Hardy, including:
- PulseAudio (and the missing manager app for it)
- The new artwork
- Firefox 3 (and the beta problem)
We also discuss the fact that Ubuntu seems to release a bit earlier than prudent. As with Gutsy, there seemed to be a lot of updates coming down awfully close to release. There also seems to be a lot of upstream development included as features.
- Xorg 7.3
- Kernel 2.6.24
- Gnome 2.22 (including GVFS)
- Transmission, Vinagre, Brasero
- World Clock Applet
- Inkscape (which isn’t even included by default)
- KVM, ActiveDirectory integration
- Memory protection
- New System Monitor
- Install without booting into the LiveCD, graphical fsck screens
In summary, it seems like a real fast, solid release with a lot of useful features even despite some minor problems in the beta period and no really ground breaking stuff. Now, what the hell are you waiting for? Get it already!
- Caolan McMahon gives Fab a tip about opening .docx files
- Nils Schlupp sends us a mail with another Gentoo tip
» Please leave a comment about this episode on the forums, if you feel like it.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.