Linux Outlaws 34 - Powered by Flexiboost
93:22 minutes, 42.9 MB — Download or play
In this episode: Shoeings galore, Microsoft pisses off Fab once and for all, MySQL goes half-closed and lots of funny emails.
This episode is dedicated to Danny Federici.
From brucespringsteen.net (also check out the video of Danny’s last performance on the site):
“Danny and I worked together for 40 years - he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much…we grew up together.”
Danny Federici, for 40 years the E Street Band’s organist and keyboard player, died this afternoon, April 17, 2008 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after a three year battle with melanoma.
The Federici family and the E Street family request that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund.
Errata, Releases & News (03:38)
We reply to a mail from Abhorsen about our coverage of the Pwn to Own competition.
- Linux XP 2008
- Nonux 4.4
- SymphonyOne 2008.1
- gOS 2.9 Space
- sidux 2008-01
- EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.19
- Draco GNU/Linux 0.3.0
- Inkscape 0.46
- Songbird 0.5
- Drupal 6.2
On the news front, MySQL goes semi-proprietary and we don’t like it.
Google explains Android at LugRadio Live US 2008, including this nice chart that explains the architecture:
More on the EU-MS war: Microsoft may be barred from EU public procurement procedures — this is the video Fab was talking about:
Review, Gaming Corner, Tip of the Week & Feedback (48:26)
Dan gives his review of Dream Linux 3.0 — read the full review on his blog.
Fab talks about the fact that the EVE Online client source was leaked on BitTorrent.
Tip of the Week: SpaceWesterns.com
- We get a great audio feedback from Jason Morgan and his two kids Liam and Olivia
- Darren Fuller sends us our first hate mail — very funny!
- Johan sends another tip for Fab for fixing his Gentoo trainwreck
- Philip Herron still likes the podcast and prompts us about open source licenses and control over open source projects
- Randy Noseworthy sends us another audio feedback, also very cool!
- We also get mail from Toby Stafford about being a .NET developer and also a Linux user and our Audible ad quib in the last show
- Eric Mesa sends us a note about several IRC clients
» Please comment on this episode in the forums.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast (except the parts at the beginning and the end, which are excerpts from Bruce Springsteen’s songs “Bishop Danced” and “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” and are copyrighted Bruce Springsteen, ASCAP) is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.