Linux Outlaws 193 - Comments Are Off
This week on Linux Outlaws: Canonical wants Banshee’s donations to Gnome, German Defense Minister steals his PhD together, FSF says Debian not free enough, Nokia has no taste, Alan Cox releases a graphics driver, Microsoft hates copyleft, more about our netbook competition and a lot of other stuff…
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
- The Cybersauce Broadcasting Corporation
- Mine OS
- Minecraft is coming to Android
- Android Builders Summit announced
0:14:10 Releases, Security & News
- First Mageia Alpha
- Linux Mint 10 KDE
- SystemRescueCd 2.0.1
- Parted Magic 5.10
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.9
- Ubuntu 10.04.2
- Puppy Linux 5.1 “Wary”
- Jolicloud 1.1.1
- Stable kernels 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, and 220.127.116.11
- GNU Guile 2.0
- Gnome Shell 2.91.90
- Fluxbox 1.3
- WordPress 3.1
- Linux Mint 11 will be codenamed “Katya”
- GuttenPlag Wiki — Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg
- Alan Cox releases a free driver for the GMA 500 graphics card
- FSF cheers Debian but doesn’t add it to the Free Distro List
- Fedora Board votes to include SQLninja
- Canonical disables Banshee donations to Gnome Foundation, wants a cut
- Bruce Byfield: Growing disillusionment with Ubuntu
- Designer: Bosses at Nokia have no taste
- Elop admits Nokia deal is about patents
- Andy Updegrove on getting open source foundations right
- Novell stockholders agree to merger
- Sony now banning cracked PS3s from PSN
- German Foreign Office goes back to Windows XP
- Microsoft doesn’t want copyleft in their app store — what a surprise!
- The DOJ asks Microsoft and Novell about the CPTN patent deal
1:24:07 MeeGo Competition Update
Dan updates everyone on the MeeGo competition to win netbooks from Intel.
- Donations: Thanks to Hanna Pietikäinen, Samuel Vanderplancke, Gil Freund, Alison Chaiken, Steve Taylor, Bruce Barr and all the great Flattr-ers!
- Jessica Tallon tells us about her awesome stream recording tool and all the cool things it can do (the program works on Linux and Mac, possibly Windows but that is untested and it’s GPLv3)
- x1101 wrote to us about Jono’s Severed Fifth campaign to raise money for a professional studio recording
Other emails from Michael Dexter, Peter Schuetz, Mark SanGiovanni and MJJZF.
Song: Hang The Noose by Woodenbox With A Fist Full Of Fivers
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.