Linux Outlaws 172 - Port 25
This week on the show: Ubuntu switching to Unity as their default desktop, Linux breaks world speed record at London Stock Exchange, more problems at Nokia, Apple violates Launchpad trademark and more…
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
- The video for LugRadio Live 2009 has been released
- Sprint to offer Samsung Galaxy Tab for $399 with contract on November 14 in the US
- Palm Pre 2 with webOS 2.0 coming soon to Verizon
- Babylon 5 & the Great War of Java
- Beer of the Week: …is coffee since Fab is dead tired. Ana had Dog in the Fog (Polish) during the show — a community Beer of the Week from the IRC.
0:11:55 Releases, Security & News
- Ubuntu Rescue Remix 10.10
- LinEx 2010
- The 2.6.36 kernel
- KDevelop 4.1
- AsbestOS PS3 bootloader released
- Chrome 7
- More privacy headaches for Facebook: gay users outed to advertisers
- Apple violates Launchpad trademark
- Ubuntu moves to Unity as default desktop for 11.04 — might spell major accessibility troubles for blind users, although they apparently have a team working to solve that
- Shuttleworth: “Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) will be the first release with a professional looking desktop environment”
- Sponsor an app model coming to Ubuntu Software Centre in 11.04
- Linux breaks world speed record at London Stock Exchange
- Michael Meeks: interesting graph of LibreOffice contributors
- OpenOffice.org Council members resign
- Symbian Foundation director steps down as platform loses allies
- Nokia boosts Qt commitment and says it will change its Symbian strategy
- Donations: Thanks to David Guest, Andreas, Peter Benecz and all who graciously flattr’d us!
- Steve Schaare tells us some interesting tricks to reanimate dead hard drives
- Bill Hixon sent us a link to an XKCD comic after hearing about Fab’s tech support woes
- Matthew Stevenson’ recommends Pinta as a drawing app
- Ken Fallon send us a promo for HPR
- x1101 tells us the very cool story how LO got him back on track computing-wise
- Other emails this week from Fifty One Fifty, Rachel (RedShirtLinux’s wife), Mr. ID, Jerry Barton (from Albuquerque, New Mexico), Liudmil Mitev, Paul Schwanse send us the link to his PentaMusic podcast site again and also Whym
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.