Linux Outlaws 171 - Mindcrack
This time on the show: Fab reviews Minecraft (a big reason why the release of this show took so long), Mozilla gets a new boss, is Canonical seeking open core?, Steve Jobs gets smacked down hard over Android, Microsoft send out Viagra spam and we talk about a lot of Linux news as usual.
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
- Fab apologises for being slow with editing and releasing Episode 169
- Fab was interviewed at length in This Week in Fedora 15 talking about Fedora design, Linux Outlaws and all kinds of other stuff
- T-Mobile G2 “unflashable” thing is a so-called NAND lock
- Germany once again making Fab ashamed: Now even harder punishment if you do anything if the police wants to arrest you (German link)
- Dan mentioned the Sarrazin Controversy — Fab pits Bismarck against him (German link)
- Unfortunately no animated wallpaper in F14
- Asshole of the Week: Gene Simmons — yes, again!
- Beer of the Week: Jever Pils
0:16:04 Releases, Security & News
- Super OS 10.10
- Parted Magic 5.6
- Ubuntu Privacy Remix 10.04r1
- Tiny Core Linux http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=063193.2
- Development: Linux Mint 10 RC
- openSUSE build service 2.1
- TaintDroid code released
- Pirated software could bring down Predator drones
- Smeegol in naming troubles
- Oracle wants LibreOffice members to leave OpenOffice council
- Mozilla gets a new boss: Gary Kovacs from SAP
- The BSA doesn’t want open standards in the EU
- HTC violates the GPL in T-Mobile’s G2
- Is Canonical seeking open core? — FSF statement on Project Harmony
- Report on Nokia going down the drain for years
- Microsoft posts video of customers criticizing OpenOffice
- Windows-chief Ray Ozzie quits
- Microsoft sends out Russsian Viagra spam from its network
1:16:36 Gaming Corner: Minecraft
- Donations: Thanks a lot to Thomas Sutch, Andrew Pols, Robert Howie, Paul Elms, Myles Wakeham, Erie Looking Productions, Alistair Munro aka. b1ackcr0w, Philip Whitaker, Todd Norris, Mike Mathieson, Stuart Ward, Shopkeeper Solutions CC and everyone who flattr‘d us!
- Frank Bell thanks us for telling him about Trinity Rescue Kit
- Brian Kemp again wrote about the Maryland geeknic
- Keith Z-G likes his N900 and send us this link about this
- Keijo Knutas points us at windows.kde.org
- Gord Mc.Pherson send us this GIMPed image of Ballmer
- Other emails from Juan Mares aka. Spartan7, @chalkahlom, Jake (The Snake) Roberts, Chris Tevyaw, James Snyder, Andreas, Patrick Craenen, Brad Floyd, Sven Slowack and Ruud Slegtenhorst
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.