Linux Outlaws 168 - The Brigadier Drops By
This week on the show: Brigadier Bradshaw joins us as a guest host, we talk to Bradley Kuhn about his move to the Software Freedom Conservancy, Sintel is released, LibreOffice is launched, the FSF turns 25, Microsoft sues Motorola and Canonical announces the Ubuntu One music streaming service.
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
- Special Guest Host: Ade Bradshaw of LugRadio fame
- We crossed the one million downloads mark shortly before our three year anniversary!
- German police violently attack student and senior citizens at a protest rally in Stuttgart
- Single-window Gimp with GimpBox
- Beers of the Week: König Pilsener and Radeberger leftovers from Fab’s party last week
0:11:19 Releases & News
- Sabayon Linux 5.4
- CRUX 2.7
- iMagicOS 10
- MINIX 3.1.8
- Wine 1.3.4
- Banshee 1.8.0
- Sintel released — and it’s awesome!
- LibreOffice — Google, Red Hat, Novell and Canonical sponsored OpenOffice fork launched
- Michael Meeks talks about LibreOffice and the Document Foundation
- Free Software Foundation turns 25
- McGrath: Proposal for a new Fedora project
- Swiss Canton of Solothurn abandons Linux
- Google’s new VP8-based image format could replace JPEG
- The new Ubuntu typeface
- Canonical announces Ubuntu One music streaming service
- Ballmer looses bonus over crappy performance
- CodePlex Foundation becomes Outercurve Foundation
- Microsoft sues Motorola, citing Android patent infringement
- Microsoft switches to WordPress for Windows Live-based blogs
1:12:10 Interview: Bradley Kuhn
- A list of Conservancy member projects
On a side note: Fab designed the new Conservancy logo.
- Donations: Thanks to Mark Gardner, Jim Shaver, SmokeyMaverick and everyone who flattr’d us!
- Matthew Phillips asked us to mention GnackTrack, a penetration testing distro with the Gnome desktop
- Dave Fernandes sent us a link to an interesting interview with Java creator James Gosling talking about why he left Oracle
- Scott Cann from Canada (who enjoys the show a lot) says there are lots of people using Linux in education over there, which is reassuring
- George Sauthoff sent us the Solothurn story we talked about earlier
- Lewis Burmeister says compiling a kernel while drunk is how you end up with Windows ME
- The “Motley Crew”: Other emails this week from Brad Floyd, Roman Ryzhov, Chris Tevyaw, Buzzy Nielsen, DarthSydwayz, Owen Oakeley, Brian van den Broek, TheWilson, Juan Mares, Michael White, Kimo Lee Faste, Bob Konior, Max F., Alison Chaiken, Sy Jones and Boryslav Larin
- Event: Geeknic at the Westminster Community Pond in Carroll County, MD at October 10th from 11:00 - 16:00 for the Ubuntu release
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.