Linux Outlaws 147 - Where's the 'kin Phone?
This week on Linux Outlaws: Ash clouds, new DPL elected, Google doing good things for Linux and open source, Apache attacked, Microsoft’s new phone and Fab is annyoing everyone with hockey talk again…
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
0:01:09 | Introduction
- Jan Wildeboer’s #ashmob
- This was the last regular show for a while, we’ll probably have loads of special content from OggCamp 10 though…
- Pony Express BoF at OggCamp
- For those who requested more info on the WePad, here’s a video of the thing in action
- Popey’s Geekbox idea
- Full official ACTA text to be released soon
- Beer of the Week: Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier Dunkel
0:17:10 | Releases & News
- BSD: FreeNAS 0.7.1
- Distro: VortexBox 1.3
- Distro: Dragora GNU/Linux 2.0
- Distro: antiX MEPIS 8.5
- Distro: Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5
- Distro: MythDora 12.23
- GCC 4.5.0 — may the beard be with you!
- Xen 4.0
- Perl 5.12.0
- ALSA 1.0.23
- Subversion 1.6.11
- MonoTouch 3.0 — looks like it’s in limbo with Apple at the moment
- The Pirate Bay, a year after the verdict — still alive…
- We have a new DPL
- Google trying to bridge Android/Linux kernel divide
- Oscar-winning video editor goes open source
- Apache.org sites attacked
- Very cool: Boxee headed to Android
- Google planning to open the VP8 video codec
0:48:02 | Microwatch
- Microsoft’s smartphone: the “Kin One” — really inspired name… not!
- Microsoft outsources their own IT — can’t handle it, huh?
1:05:19 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Eduardo Carrillo, Rory Holland, Alex Harrington (who is also helping us out with displays for OggCamp) and Badry Darkoush
- Forums: Fab’s NHL Playoffs thread — Video of Jordan Leopold getting knocked out cold
- toor58 sent us details of a new distro based on Linux Mint called Netrunner (nothing to do with the Netrunner card game), we also had one from Kevin McDole about another new distro called Manhattan OS
- James Holland and Tim Humble both sent us information about many security code words
- Jezra (@jezra) sent us more amazing audio clips, with meerkats!
- Charlie Robinson says Linux Outlaws has been unblocked in China and Fab promptly tries to change that again
- Other emails this week from Daniel Thorley, Ken Fallon, Samuel Vanderplancke, Michael Spannbauer, Phil McCoy, Reverend Wilie, Stuart Ward, Stephen Michael Kellat, Ken Peter, Edd Stock, Jesse Anger, Brian Kemp, Rob, Mark Rice, Xavier Sythe, John Imison, 6r00k14n and Łukasz Zachulski
- Alistair Munro didn’t email us this week, we think he’s playing reverse psychology to get more mentions now
- Events: Barcamp Blackpool at the Blackpool Pleasure Beach Casino, July 3 / FossCon 2010 in New York, June 19
- OggCamp Sponsors: Linux Format - Media Partner, The Open Learning Centre, Linux Emporium, Opsview, Bitfolk, Recruit12 and Linux Fund
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.