Linux Outlaws 128 - The Mystery Box
On the last regular show for the year: Dan reviews the Nokia N900, Microsoft rips off Plurk, Shuttleworth steps down as Canonical CEO, Google to release the real Googlephone soon, Best Buy says Linux breaks PC hardware and much more…
Linux Outlaws is brought to you by Sixgun Productions.
- Errata: Fab messed up the release number on the last show but fixed it as soon as possible — sorry for any confusion that might have caused
- We talked about this Aussie ad against Internet censorship, we also had a hint about this on the forum
- Bruce Perens critical of SFLC litigation
- Looks like the Gnome/GNU thing really is more about RMS
- Evernote for Android released
- OpenOffice mouse is now the “WarMouse Meta”
- Beer of the Week: Oettinger Winterbier
0:15:38 | Releases & News
- Parsix GNU/Linux 3.0r1
- Parted Magic 4.7
- Untangle Gateway 7.1
- Absolute Linux 13.0.5
- kademar Linux 4.9.1
- Tiny Core Linux 2.7
- WordPress 2.9
- Moonlight 2 — includes a new patent covenant
- Google will finally release their own “Googlephone”, the Nexus One
- Have you heard??? Shuttleworth steps down as Canonical CEO, his blog post about it
- Monty again talking very little sense
- BestBuy’s Geek Squad says “Linux voids warranty, breaks hardware”
- Is Transgaming killing Cedega?
- We discuss if Ubuntu’s panel redesign initiative is a good thing or not
1:02:48 | Microwatch
- Microsoft rips off Plurk, Plurk’s reply — Status.net says “take our code!”
- EU settles affairs with M$ on browser ballot, no fines this time
1:11:09 | In-Depth Topic
Dan reviews the Nokia N900 and goes quite deeply into the pros and cons of the hard- and software of the device. He actually got a review unit from WOMWorld/Nokia. If you are in the UK, Vodafone seems to have reasonable deals for the N900.
If you have a Maemo device, check out gPodder for Maemo.
- Donations: Thanks to Michael C., Andre H. and Ed D.
- Forums: Check out this cool story from Gregor about how he accidentally converted somebody to Linux
- James Hugman send us a link to the Periodic Table of Beer
- Thanks to Les Pounder for this amazing Christmas card
- Shmoe says Fab is really lucky because he got the X301 and gives him another handy tip about it
- Christopher and Rob P. both sent us this hilarious Steve Ballmer video
- Csaba “The” Hoch tells us that “The Luminous Fish Effect” is an episode title from the comedy series The Big Bang Theory
- Badry Darkoush wrote a nice email saying they enjoy the podcast and it’s the only English show they listen to, they are from Syria and English is their second language
- Other emails this week from Len Cooley, Ron Perrella, Michael Campbell, William Nadeau, John Scheuvront, Babu Shah, Dave Nicholas, Patrick, Dave Purse, Brian Hunt, Matt Read, Alistair “b1ackcr0w the mention whore” Munro and Martin Häger
- Android team to answer questions on IRC
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.