Linux Outlaws 126 - The Man with the Golden Laptop
This week: Lenovo ThinkPad X301 review, Black Screen of Death, Firefox dethrones IE in Germany, Palm target of GPL-infringement suit, lots of Google news and more…
0:01:46 | Introduction
- Errata: Eric Kilgore’s Telecaster is a James Burton signature model (Fab mistakenly said Brad Paisley who is a country picker who also plays a Tele)
- Errata: Harald Sitteris Austrian, not German — thanks Bernd!
- “I’m the President, but he’s the Boss!”
- Check out the interview with Jeremy Allison on the SFLS
- We like Shot of Jaq
- Fab still maintains that all those people who think cigarette smoke is oh sooo very dangerous are sissies — Burn One Down!
- Beer of the Week: Grimbergen Triple
- Tea of the Week: Argentinian Mate tea kindly sent to Dan by Sergio Tridente
0:14:08 | Releases & News
- BSD Release: m0n0wall 1.3
- CDlinux 0.9.5
- Linux Mangaka Chu
- Calculate Linux 10.0
- Pentoo 2009.0
- StressLinux 0.4.136
- VirtualBox 3.1
- Qt 4.6
- IE dethroned in Germany by Firefox!
- Improvements in KDE SC 4.4 beta 1
- Google announces DNS service and drops Gears
- Artifex launches a GPL-infringement suit against Palm
- Eben Moglen and SFLC send letters in support of Oracle to EU Commission
0:48:59 | Microwatch
0:58:30 | In-Depth Topic
Fab reviews the Lenovo ThinkPad X301.
1:14:41 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks a lot to Christopher D., Ronald P., Douglas L. and Matthew C.
- Forums: Jezra’s awesome “Gimp your head onto another body” tutorial
- Andrew C. sent us information on a project called IceCream for cross compiling stuff
- Andy Hunter sent us an email about [a boxed version of OpenSUSE he’s seen on Amazon for £50
- Bob Konior tries to beat us in the shitty old computer challenge
- Roger Light tells us about his app mosquitto (an open source mqtt broker) which came about as a direct consequence of Andy Stanford-Clark’s talk at OggCamp
- We had emails about the Ubuntu One application list sharing idea from Spencer Dupre and x1101** pointing out that Synaptic can export a list of installed packages already — Fab recommends APTonCD
- Other emails this week from Jacob Feltman, Martin Häger, Mark Law, Matthew Pherigo, James Lewis, satipera, Pete Martin, Jake Tolbert, Lorenzo, Daniel Devine, redbrain, Tony Ciak, Luke Platypuss, Brian Kemp, Michael White, GourdCaptain, Dan Beeler, Neal and Quarter Pounder
- Event: Debian Bug Squashing Party, January 22-24 at Credativ GmbH.
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.