Linux Outlaws 123 - Simple Doesn't Equal Shit
This week on the show: We review OpenSuse 11.2 and Fedora 12 and review them in our Big Distro Shootout and in the news Apple says no warranty for you if you smoke, Chrome OS source released, Fedora 12 lets non-root users install stuff and Ubuntu removes the GIMP from Lucid.
0:00:54 | Introduction
- email@example.com from the forums correctly identified Fab’s Event Horizon reference from the last show, well done!
- Vote for us in the Podcast Awards in the “Science and Technology” section, also vote for Rathole Radio in “Podsafe Music” while you’re at it — thanks!
- Docky gains Panel Mode
- Android arrives Down Under
- Booze of the Week: Bulleit Bourbon again
0:09:39 | Releases & News
- Parted Magic 4.6
- Momonga Linux 6.1
- OpenSUSE 11.2
- Fedora 12
- Knoppix 6.2
- NuTyX 2009.1
- Amarok 2.2.1
- CrossOver Games 8.1<br/><br/>
- The horrible UK anti-piracy law has been passed — Aq’s brilliant post on it
- Chromium OS source released and apparently Canonical is helping with development — download the VMware image
- World’s fastest computer runs Linux
- Is Samsung sponsoring Enlightenment?
- Fedora 12 let non-root users install software by default but promptly reverted that
- GIMP to be removed from Lucid, to be replaced by F-Spot — video of the UDS session (check at 25:47 for the start of the GIMP discussion)
0:47:19 | Microwatch
- Microsoft open sources .NET Micro Framework
- Crapple: Latest jailbroken iPhone worm tries filching bank passwords
- Crapple: No warranty for smokers says
GodSteve Jobs — seriously… WTF!?
0:58:12 | Big Distro Shootout: OpenSuse 11.2 vs. Fedora 12
Dan has been testing OpenSuse 11.2 while Fab has been running Fedora 12 and we’ll compare and contrast — Ars Technica’s Fedora 12 review, also stay tuned for Dan’s upcoming in-depth review of OpenSuse 11.2 on his blog.
- Also check out Suse Studio
1:31:03 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to amishtechie, Hak.5, Jürgen and Brian M. for supporting the show!
- Forums: M$ classes Firefox as dangerous software?
- Simon Vass says their LUG in Uganda hosted Sir Tim Berners-Lee at a special meeting
- Jacob Feltman wants our opinion on what we think is the best distro
- Paul W. B., a new listener from Down Under, sent us a really nice email about how much he enjoys the show — good to have you on board!
- James Lewis writes from one of the coolest domains ever andbrags with his classic computer fu
- Other emails this week from our friend Kevan V., from Andreas Marschke, amishtechie, Daniel Devine, Anthony Fox, Sven Hoffmann (a mate of Fab’s), Christopher, Matthew Pherigo, Dan Dart, varomix, spartan7, Beeza and St3v3
- Events: PyCon 2010 Feb. 17 - 25 in Atlanta, indoor geeknic in North East USA at the “Pinball Parlour” arcade where the machines will be on free play for two hours
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.