Linux Outlaws 121 - See Popey for Details
This week on the show: KDE founder gets German medal of honour, Harald Welte says Android is crap, Open Office releases the worst computer mouse in history, Dan reviews Mandriva 2010 and much more…
0:01:12 | Introduction
- The date when we recorded this episode is the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- Errata: ZFS is under Sun’s CDDL, not a BSD license
- This episode is the first to feature new album art
- Help the Freenode folks test their new network
- Booze of the Week: A nice Cabernet Sauvignon from the Hunter Valley
0:08:26 | Releases & News
- Monomaxos 4.0
- Mandriva Linux 2010
- Moblin 2.1
- Scientific Linux 5.4
- Elastix 1.6.0
- BSDanywhere 4.6
- SimplyMEPIS 8.0.12
- Tiny Core Linux 2.5
- FreeNAS 0.7
- iMagic OS 2010
- Webconverger 5.7
- Zenwalk Linux 6.2 “Core”
- SystemRescueCd 1.3.2
- KDE 4.3.3
- Firefox 3.5.5
- KDE founder Matthias Ettrich gets German Federal Cross of Merit
- Zend and Oracle collaborate on Enterprise Linux and PHP
- OpenOffice releases a mouse and it’s fucking ugly!
- Motorola DROID launches with Android 2.0
- Harald Welte says Android is crap
- GNOME 3.0 delayed until September 2010?
0:54:19 | In-Depth Topic
Dan gives us an overview of Mandriva 2010.
Here’s a screenshot of the USB disk backup tool Dan mentioned during his review:
1:10:53 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Ben G. W. & Ryan K.
- Forums: Windows 7 Transformation Pack for Ubuntu
- Michal Kaut sends us a link to Machinarium, a pretty cool Flash adventure game
- Gareinc wrote to say they enjoy the show and also tells us his opinions about the GIMP and XSane user interfaces
- Félim Whiteley tells us why HADOPI was really pushed through in France
- Martin Visser thinks Windows has more than 75% server market share
- Scott Pashley sent a tip for Fab on blacklisting the pcspkr module to stop system beeps
- Other emails this week from B1ackcr0w, Jess Lantz, Jared, Matthew Pherigo, Andreas Marschke, Darryl, Beeza, Michael Spannbauer, Kevan V., Nathan a.k.a. hairymnstr, John Yerhot of fosscasts.com, Benson The Dude, Eric Roudabush, nipeng, Dan Devine and Dennis
- Google has acquired Gizmo5?
- Ardour Workshop & FLOSS Manuals Book Sprint — November 23 - 27, 2009 at moddr_lab in Rotterdam, Netherlands
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.