Linux Outlaws 113 - Remember Cancún?
In this show, which just narrowly scrapes under the two hour mark by a whisker, Dan and Fab discuss the CyanogenMod troubles, RMS and Miguel de Icaza, Sam Ramji and more Codeplex news as well as Dan’s experiences at LinuxCon.
0:01:42 | Introduction
- Thanks to mintCast for playing the OggCamp promo in their Episode 22!
- You can now scrobble to Libre.fm from Android with Simple Last.fm Scrobbler
- Meet the new German foreign minister
- Congratulations to Randy Noseworthy and his new bride, the first ever OLF wedding
0:12:35 | Releases & News
- SystemRescueCd 1.3.0
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 Update 4
- Ojuba 3
- DragonFly BSD 2.4
- Puppy Linux 4.3
- Parted Magic 4.5
- Ultimate Edition 2.3 “Gamers”
- Berry Linux 0.98
- Network Security Toolkit 2.11.0
- Moblin 2.0 — Dell and Canonical working together on shipping Moblin netbooks
- Absolute Linux 13.0.2
- Gnome 2.28
- OSSEC v2.2
- Rockbox 3.4
- gPodder 2.0 “Day of the Tentacle”
- Puppy Linux 4.3 has been completely redesigned
- ClarkConnect renamed ClearOS
- FSF updates the beard approved, freedom-distro list
- Android 1.6 “Donut” SDK has landed
- Cyanogenmod cease-and-desisted by Google
- Ubuntu 10.04 will be Lucid Lynx — new look included?
- RMS calls Miguel de Icaza a “traitor to Free Software”
- Big GPL copyright enforcement win in Paris Court of Appeals
0:57:46 | Microwatch
- Sam Ramji leaves Microsoft
- Andy Updegrove from the Linux Foundation on the CodePlex Foundation organisation
1:05:42 | In-Depth Topic
Dan talks about his experiences at LinuxCon in Portland.
1:38:47 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Steve B. (no, not Ballmer…)
- Forums: musk had a very good point on F/OSS game development in the feedback thread to Episode 112 — we never thought of that!
- Danny Vose sent us some great audio feedback about Apple and why he likes their desktop products, sadly the clip is four minutes long and we can’t fit it in this week
- James Hugman tells us about his Android app Guardian Anywhere
- John confirmes that he received the pens he won
- Alistair Munro sends us a link to this great interview with Shingledecker
- Adam most likely didn’t get our sarcasm
- JonTheNiceGuy tells us Pokebook is a parody of Facebook which only implements the poke function
- Frank Bell explains all the desktop environments and window managers that come with Slackware to us — no Gnome, though…
- Matthew Cucuzella says the most worrying recent use of deep packet inspection was Phorm
- David Ellis sent us this press release from Microsoft about the GPLv3
- Other emails we received were from Steve “from the Canadian Texas”, Thomas Perl, Les Pounder, Mats “You’re totally wrong” Taraldsvik, Andrew Barnett, Jason Simpson, Dave S., David Ramsey Cain, Tony Ciak, Ravel Lopez, St3v3, Carson, Bill Toulas, Stephen Parsons, BigJim and Johan Vervloet
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.