Linux Outlaws 111 - Developers, Developers... D'oh!
This week on the show: Beer from hell, deep packet inspection, MOTOROLA’S NEW ANDROID UI, Microsoft vs. Zim Jemlin and the Linux Foundation and much more.
0:02:01 | Introduction
- OggCamp promo
- This is the third year of Linux Outlaws!
- OggCamp Sponsors: Bitfolk, The Open Learning Centre and Canonical
- Astrid to get complete rewrite for 3.0 — including new plugin abilities
- List of Free Software on Android — thanks to JonTheNiceGuy
- Pokebook says Dan is a “celebrity podcaster” and “endorsed them”
- Security: Botnet of zombie Linux web servers in the wild — check if your server serves malicious content on port 8080!
- Beer of the Week: Augustinerbräu Lagerbier Hell
0:14:20 | Releases & News
- Easy Peasy 1.5
- GoblinX 3.0 “G:Noblin”
- CRUX 2.6
- Bluewhite64 Linux 13.0
- moonOS 3
- Trisquel GNU/Linux 3.0
- Absolute Linux 13.0
- Hymera Open 20090910
- Linux Mint 7 “Xfce”
- Webconverger 5.5
- NuTyX 2009
- gNewSense 2.3
- Gnome dependencies analysed with debtree
- Motorola introduces new Android phones and MOTOBLUR social networking skin for Android — try MOTOBLUR here
- Android 2.0 delayed, coming in December
- Deep packet inspection engine goes open source
- Facebook open sources the “Tornado” web server
- Apple open sources Grand Central Dispatch — but is it useful at all?
- Drupal’s new trademark policy under fire
0:53:05 | Microwatch
- Microsoft’s plan to auction patents off to trolls fails spectacularly, Jim Zemlin accuses M$ of foul play
- Microsoft launches non-profit CodePlex Foundation “to promote open source collaboration”, looks like they are stalling on their GPL drivers though
1:06:59 | Android App Pick
- Google Listen (free) — Google’s podcatcher / spoken word application
Install by scanning this barcode:
1:13:06 | Feedback
- Donations: Thanks to Daniel V. and Matt H.
- Forums: Windigo’s OggCamp badge maker
- Torben Stones sent us a link to a Dilbert cartoon about overgenerous software patents, even cartoons have cottoned on to it now
- Les (Quarter) Pounder sent us this amusing story about a pigeon that is faster than ADSL
- klaatu of The Bad Apples and HPR fame sent us a message about his Unix Porn website
- SK Keeper from Portugal tells us he enjoys the show, congratulates us on the, in his words, awesome work we do, and hopes we can reach episode 200, 300 or even 400
- Ola also congratulates us on our two year anniversary
- Ben Stokes sends us a tip about the CTRL+R history feature in bash
- Ger Apeldoorn congratulates Fab on having freedom in his pocket, he says he should try CyanogenMod now
- Other emails this week from Michal Kaut, Joe Linux, Dean Thomson, George De Bruin, Billy Crook, Joe Foy, Arron Finnon, Dan Collins and Christian Farrow
- We will have a special show next week since Dan is in Portland for Linux Con — he will post an audio diary about that on his blog
Song: Gimme Your Leg by De Fuckups (from Archive.org)
The theme music for this podcast is a song called “Sudo Modprobe”, it was written by Fab and produced and performed by Dan and Fab. The artwork for the album cover and the site including the Outlaw Tux was created by Fab. All material in this podcast is released under the Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 license, except the music at the end of the show which is always licensed under the Creative Commons license specified by the artist under the provided link.